Heres what you require for this recipe of Spicy Matoke:
- 1/4 kg steak cut into cubes or 1/2kg mutton with bones cut into small pieces
- Plantains - Matoke/Raw bananas - 3 cut into cubes
- Garlic - 3/4 teaspoon (Crushed)
- Ginger - 1/2 teaspoon (Crushed)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Cloves - 1-2
- Black pepper (crushed), a pinch
- Cinnamon powder - a Pinch
- Cummin seeds powder - a pinch
- Corriander leaves
- Light coconut milk - 2 cups
- Thick coconut milk - 1 cup
Boil meat for 15 mins until just tender (not very tender) in salt. Place in a sauce pan the cubed matoke, spices, meat and light coconut milk, cook on a medium flame (I prefer using jiko). Once the meat is very tender, and the coconut milk has evaporated, add the thick coconut milk, bring to a boil and shimmer for 5 mins. Serve while hot, garnish with corriander leaves.
Ensure you stir the ingredients while they cook in the light coconut milk or use a thick bottom saucepan or a nonstick saucepan.
For the best results, I use the traditional swahili clay pot - brings out the best taste.
Hoping you enjoy the dish,
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Kenya Food Recipes.