Mombasa Bed and Breakfast: Some Tips And Recommendations
If you want to travel cheaply to Mombasa, bed and breakfast style hostels are one option. Bed and breakfasts are usually cheaper than resorts or hotels, but not always. A typical bed and breakfast stay will offer a breakfast, though what constitutes a breakfast meal can vary quite a bit from place to place.
As in most of Kenya, Mombasa bed and breakfast inns are often called guest houses or hostels and you shouldn't assume they have the same level of facilities as bed and breakfasts in North America. Many still offer shared bathrooms and only the more expensive ones are likely to have air-conditioning – which isn’t a luxury in hot and humid Mombasa.
Because the term "bed and breakfast" isn't used in Mombasa as consistently as in North America or Europe, it can be difficult to find these specific types of inns. Below are a few good choices, at different budget levels.
You can read reviews about these places or book them at Hostelworld.com – a great service started by some enthusiastic young back packers and they have some 30 good quality hostels in Kenya, including the hostels mentioned below.
- The Beach - Bar Restaurant & Camp Lodge – A hostel located directly at the beach in a fishermen’s village. For a hostel, it has remarkably well facilities, including a bar and restaurant, internet access, rental bikes, a small grocery shop, left luggage, cash exchange and lockers. It’s also possible to bbq or grill your own food. Rates p.p. start around US$ 13.
- Msafiri Cottages – A family-run guest house with 6 cottages of 4 rooms each. It’s also possible to camp here or sleep in a dorm. Facilities include ceiling fans (but no air conditioning), secure car parking, laundry service, left luggage and a small bar/restaurant. Rooms have a private shower but no hot water (but that goes for most budget and even some midrange places). In their office, they only accept cash payments. Room rates p.p. start around US$ 18, camping at US$ 9.
- Kiembeni Guest House – A bed and breakfast very centrally located at Moi Avenue in Mombasa centre, above a restaurant right next to the famous tusks that cross Moi Avenue. It’s a small house with 3 bedrooms. Facilities include a ceiling fan (but no airconditioning), kitchen, laundry service, and TV with DVD player. Rates p.p. start around US$ 25.
- Kenya Bay Beach Hotel – Located directly at Bamburi Beach. Next to bed and breakfast basis, it’s also possible to stay here on half board and full board basis. For a place with a B&B option, it’s large (over 200 beds) and it has the facilities of a full beach resort, including swimming pool, restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. All rooms have air conditioning, balconies and private bathtubs/showers. The bed and breakfast rates p.p. start around US$ 45.
Although accommodation is generally cheaper in Mombasa than Nairobi, accommodation is not be as cheap as you might have hoped, knowing this is Africa. The high end places are just as expensive as North America or Europe, and only on the bottom end of the market will places get really dirt cheap (but the quality is correspondingly low).
Even when I don’t have to, I often like to stay at bed and breakfasts or budget hostels. You meet different kind of people there – the young, eternal travelers, etc. They also offer a lot of self-catering facilities and common rooms to hang out. That’s a nice way to get to know other people. So why not give staying at a Mombasa bed and breakfast a thought...
From Mombasa Bed And Breakfast to the Introduction Page
Visiting Kenya: Mombasa Travel Made Easy/a>
Kenya, Mombasa: Things To See And Do
Mombasa Travel Guide - Highlights And Practical Tips
Mombasa Travel: The Basics
The Mombasa Weather: Hot And Humid
Fort Jesus (Mombasa) - History Coming Alive
Hotels In Mombasa: My Reviews
Mombasa Serena Beach Hotel
Safari Beach Hotel Mombasa - Review
Tourist Destinations In Mombasa - My Personal List
Car Hire In Mombasa - Tips And Considerations
How To Find Cheap Flights To Mombasa
Flights to Mombasa – What Are Your Options?
Mombasa Safari - What Are Your Options?
A Mombasa Holiday: Beach, Safari And Culture All In One
See Mombasa: Tour The City
The Mombasa Golf Club - Overlooking The Indian Ocean
Mombasa Academy - First Class Education In Kenya
From Mombasa Bed And Breakfast to the Homepage
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.